At WIAIMH's 2017 conference Lauren Gourley and Emily Hagenmaier presented on the topic of parents as providers and the increased need for focus on reflective practice. Here are a list of reflective prompts suggested by Lauren and Emily and generated by our audience.
1. How does my identity as a parent influence my stance as an IMH provider?
2. How is my experience (as a mother / parent / grandmother / person who has experienced loss, etc.) help me connect with or distance myself from this client?
3. What topics related to pregnancy and parenting might be particularly sensitive for me and can be a reminder to first regulate myself (breathe, etc.) in session before choosing how I respond or if I will self-disclose?
4. As a reflective consultant/supervisor, how can I support my supervisee’s exploration and awareness of her parental status and its impact on her work?
5.As someone working in a managerial, policy, or non-direct practice role, how might my own experience of parenthood impact policies and perceived agency or community needs?
6. How will I care for myself when parenting, life, and work responsibilities feel untenable? Who will I ask for help and support?
© Gourley & Hagenmaier, 2017